From: steve harley

on 2012-04-20 16:47 John Sessoms wrote
From: steve harley

on 2012-04-20 10:40 John Sessoms wrote

PS: Why does Thunderbird skip over the smiley when I'm copying text?
hmmm, i am using Thunderbird and making a "reply" of Boris' message you quoted,
or copying and pasting the referenced smiley into a new message did not
change it

It doesn't change it, it just ignores it.

I'm doing copy & paste from the digests, and whenever the smiley displays as an
icon (widget? whatever?), Thunderbird skips over it when you select the text;
just leaves a blank space where the smiley should be.
you have stumbled upon a Thunderbird bug; it seems to only occur when "Display
emoticons as graphics" is checked in Preferences > Display > Formatting; i have
that unchecked normally so smileys display as characters for me, and they copy
and paste correctly; when i checked that option, however, Boris' smiley is
omitted ("ignored") when i copy it (regardless of where i paste it), though it
is preserved when i use Reply (which you couldn't do unless you were to burst
the digests)

i made a casual search and it seems this also annoys people whose emails
include mathematical formulae, as the "emoticon" setting also makes exponents
look "right" (e.g. e^n), but then they fail to copy

Found it. Un-checked it. We'll see what happens. Thanks.