Bob -

After reading all of these replies, you're starting to get a lot of
different ideas of how the meter can be used.

Before you spend a bunch of money on a meter, think about renting one
from borrowlenses.com.

<http://www.borrowlenses.com/category/Lightmeters>

This page shows the two-week rental fee for a Sekonic 358 as $28.  The
cost of that meter is a little over $300 at B&H.

You could try out a lot of ideas and see if they make any difference
to you for a very little bit of money.  That would be money well spent
if you decided that you didn't want to make the purchase.  If you did
buy the meter, you could think of the rental fee as the cost of
education.

gs

George Sinos
gsi...@gmail.com