I've been using a D800 for a couple of weeks.  I see it as more of an
additional tool than a replacement for the my aps-c cameras.  It makes
40Mbyte DNGs.  I'll still be using the smaller sensor cameras for
sports and a lot of other photos.

I'm starting a couple of longer projects to document some of the more
iconic buildings and churches.  This gallery contains 11 test photos
from 2 public buildings and 1 church.  These were taken on a tripod,
the intention was figure how much range to capture for input to the
HDR software.

<http://www.georgesphotos.net/Other/HDR-test/22927857_Rz48LW>

The Durham Musem and Burlington building photos started as 9 shots, .7
stops apart.  These are at ISO 100 (You don't need this many.  It was
an experiment.)
The Church photos started as 5 shots 1 stop apart.  I don't know why,
but I shot these at ISO 400.  I didn't focus in the right place for
these.

They go into Photomatix as 40 Mbyte DNGs and come out as a single 200
Mbyte, or so, tiff.  They were turned into 20-30 Mbyte JPEGs for
upload to Smugmug.

So you're looking at photos that have been processed a lot.  There is
still a LOT of detail that has survived.  Look at the "original" size
on smugmug and pan around the images.  Some are better than others.
Look at the items in the display cases in the shot of the snack bar.

I'm not sure what Nikon did with the sensor and processor on this
camera, but at ISO 100, where there were shot, the dynamic range is
wider than I expected.

Now that I've run these tests I'll be going back several times to each
place to get the actual shots I want.

I know it's just evolution, but a 24 Megapixel, entry level camera is
just nuts.  Most consumers will struggle with the huge files.

See you later, gs

George Sinos
gsi...@gmail.com
www.georgesphotos.net