> Tom,
>
> Somewhat of a rhetorical question.
>
> How many photos posted to PDML in the past week can you point to that would
> be noticeably better with a 24MP sensor?
>
> How many would be cleaner with better high ISO performance?
>
> High ISO versus high megapixels in cameras is like fast laptimes versus
> number of seats in a car.  Some of us want a sportscar that is fun to drive
> around a racetrack, some people want something reliable with good fuel
> economy, and others want an SUV to carry six kids around town.
>
> There is no single right answer.
>
>    Larry

Define better. :-)

A good or excellent picture shot on a higher MP camera, all other
things equal, will probably be a better picture as it contains more
detail (of course you know that).

A crumby picture shot on a higher MP camera will still be a crumby
picture. Maybe crumbier because it contains more crumby detail.

All I'm saying is the same that Boris just elicited. Pentax hanging
onto a 16MP sensor will not look good when the rest of the world
passes them buy. Hopefully the K30 is the last 16MP camera they make.
Otherwise, Boris will be right. It doesn't matter how good the camera
is, a 16MP sensor camera will be just another boring 16MP camera, just
like the endless variety of 6MP *ist D's.

Do you remember back in the *ist D days, how some here said '6MP was
all they would ever need' and 'why would anyone need more'? Those same
people bought a K10D, K20D, K7, K5, and likely will buy whatever the
next flagship of Pentax will be.

What I seem to hear you implying is that 16MP is a cut off point. I
suspect we're just throwing that number around because it happens to
represent Pentax's top of the line in APS-C at the moment.

So here's a rhetorical question (more or less). If you could get an
equal or almost as good high ISO performance in a sensor that has a
big jump in base resolution (from which every shot could benefit
from), would you?

The basic point is Pentax can't sit around in the 16MP realm when
other manufacturers have higher MP base models, regardless of how good
a 16MP camera it is, and expect to maintain market share.

Tom C