Thanks for all these helpful tips, Paul!

I'm still not exactly sure where I'm going to be located, but I do believe I'll have a pit pass. I checked the NHRA site for their media credentials policy and it turned out to be a good bit more restrictive than I'd hoped. So, it looks like I'll be shooting from the stands -- though, I'm told I'll be in a good location, near the starting line.

I'll most likely use my 70-300, which sounds suitable according to your advice, even though it's not my sharpest lens.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond! The advice is very much appreciated.

-- Walt