Fascinating thing -- I'd guess the longer tube is about 6 inches long, looking at it in relation to the grain in the wood it is sitting on.

What about an incense holder? nah... I thought candle holder at first but someone pointed out the wax would drip.

Good fun to try to figure it out -- might be a very nice item to sell on ebay :-)

ann