Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 12:31:12 -0700
From: Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Flash Meter experiment

I did some art nudes with a friend last night using my studio flash
gear. As an experiment, I pulled out the flash meter and when I'd get
my lighting dialed in, I'd take a picture of the flash meter and a
grey card.
As far as I can tell, the way it works is to fire the strobe.  the
f/stop that it reads on the meter is the correct aperture for ASA 50
film. Point the arrow on the dial at that aperture, then look at what
aperture lines up with the ISO, and that's the supposed correct
exposure.

I will say that it never completely blew the exposure, but it was
pretty consistently different from the exposure that I ended up using,
about a stop or so under.  In other words plenty of safe headroom for
something really bright in the picture, but not maximizing the SNR on
low key digital photos. Shooting at ISO 80 on the K-5, I think that I
could feel confident that if I used the flash meter, and didn't check
the histogram, I would almost never blow a shot.

I am coming to the conclusion that it is a valuable tool to know how
to use, that there are situations that it can prove invaluable, but
likewise, the histogram is also a valuable tool, and I'd be foolish to
rely on the flash meter and ignore the histogram, if the histogram
were available.

For those that would like to check for themselves, fluidr shows the
exif data, so you can see the flash meter reading, and my actual
exposure data.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157629987116526/

luiz felipe
luiz.felipe at luizfelipe.fot.br