Hi!

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:
> on 2012-06-01 15:54 Dmitry Gromov wrote
>
>> Not sure where is my own archive from 2000 forward, but since I
>> switched to Gmail at the end of 2004, I quickly grabbed conversation
>> counts per year:
>>
>> 2005    7,831
>> 2006    7,381
>> 2007    6,247
>> 2008    5,009
>> 2009    5,249
>> 2010    5,295
>> 2011    4,841
>

> here is the individual message count obtained by summing monthly totals on
> pdml.net, or alternately by counts of mail-archive.com searches within 6
> months of 2 July of given years (this search captures a year give or take a
> day):
>
> year    pdml    mail-archive
> 2006            68271
> 2007    60383   60201
> 2008    45822   44367
> 2009    52887   54505
> 2010    52122   53697
> 2011    41848   46731

This is so great, thank you for the numbers :)

> i double-checked the 2011 figures and cannot explain the large discrepancy;
> the average length of threads (consistently just under 10 based on
> conversation count) could be considered a measure of mailing list health —
> 10 is good

Yeah, it seems that average number of messages per thread is an
ultimate indicator!

> just for fun, here is monthly message volume from pdml.net charted to show
> seasonal and yearly variation (2006 and 2012 are partial);
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8gs1dvv66wuyg2/chart.png>

Cool chart, was looking to do something like this myself. Major camera
announcements is very easily visible here.

Thanks a lot for data and chart, was planning to do something very
similar myself...

--
//DG LOC(NJ)
//*