Sorry - writable optical media fail MUCH faster than hard drives, have
less capacity, and are much more maintenance work.
I wouldn't touch Blue-Ray for archive storage, don't bother with DVD either.

Rotating media hard drives are cheap and are currently the most
reliable and best bang for the buck capacity wise.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com