IMO in this kind of discussion it just might be useful to play the role
of devil's advocate.

Most of my shooting not for my own pleasure is for Galia's class. When
it started I was obsessed with technical quality - sharpness, etc. As
time goes by, I am starting to understand that slightly (notice, not
badly, just slightly) soft or slightly blurred shot with interesting
moment caught on camera is much more fun than sharp but uninteresting
photograph. So, I don't dwell too much into optimizing everything - I
just shoot trying to catch a moment.

Wearing my regular hat, I should say that I'd line up with Bruce Walker
- each specific lens has its own character.

E.g. my FA 50/1.4 is probably sharper than average wide open because
according to its previous owner it was a hard decision to sell it to me
over DA* 55/1.4 and it is kind of known that DA* 55/1.4 is rather
sharp wide open.

Another example is A 50/1.2 which I shoot wide open a lot just for the
heck of it. I've noticed (yet to figure out this in a way rigorous
enough to spot it before the shot) that sometimes it produces
surprisingly sharp results although mostly it glows ever so slightly.

Other than that, all my prime lenses are sharp enough for me from f/2.8 and zoom lenses are sharp enough from f/3.5-f/4.0 which is indeed a stop or so from the wide open (except A 50/1.2 but I wouldn't shoot it just for sharpness anyway).