Hmmm, I've sent a test message from my Samsung S II and got no replies yet...

On 6/7/2012 06:47, knarftheria...@gmail.com wrote:
Sounds like you and I have the exact same phone!

You're right, the Gmail app will not send plain text and you cannot change that
in the settings, near as I can figure out.

However you can set up your Gmail as one of the accounts in your Samsung Email
app. Emails from that app will be plain text.

Two problems: it won't thread and it only keeps about 24 hours worth of emails.
That's why I can't respond on my phone to emails more than a day old.

So, I still use my Gmail app for reading (due to the threading) then go to the
Samsung Email to respond.

I am replying to you on my Samsung Galaxy S II Android as we speak (or write).

Btw I think some on this list have used and liked the K9 email app, which can
be set to send plain text. I tried it but didn't like it. I can't remember why.

;-)

cheers,
frank

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." --
Christopher Hitchens