On 8/26/2012 13:35, Larry Colen wrote:

On Aug 26, 2012, at 5:55 AM, Ann Sanfedele wrote:

Gosh - I hope Tim doesn't think Katydids are creepy...

I think it was Tim (Bray not 0selby) that was complaining about bug pictures.

YES - I knew it was Tim Bray...

I think the single shot you chose to highlight has to be a mistake -
(and with flikker frames thats easy to do it seems)
because it ain't nearly as nice as almost any of the others. The bouquet is barely there
the head of the Katy is underexposed, etc.

It was 35 that I picked.
I liked the colors of the bouquet, and he wasn't lost in the green of the foliage.

Larry I gotta say that one just doesn't work - it still doesnt sound like we are talking about the same photo... the pink is jsut along the bottom edge, totally out of focus, all I see is the katy's head coming in from the left side of the frame. and I went back and yes it said 35.

My pick from the lot is the first of the set which i think is this
20120825-_LRC9513.jpg

11 is the first, 13 is the third, a vertical composition.

I think the index rotates or something, because it did seem to be the first one of the bunch when I back arrowed from 35

that's the one I would have sent to a nature stock photo agency

although for sheer fun, nice Bokeh, sweet smile and nice geometry
20120825-_LRC9519.jpg

For what it's worth, 11-28 are shot available light ISO, mostly ISO 6400.  The rest are shot with
flash, a lumiquest light box on the 540. I was about to start looking for my ringflash adapter when
Laura started pointing out that we were missing the concert we were supposed to go to.   Her
daughter had bought tickets to a fun show called "Gentlemen of the Road", a festival on
tour, but then between buying the tickets and the show, her daughter got a job and moved out of the
country (South Africa,  really out of the country). The ticket said "No cameras with removable
lenses" so I left my kit in the car, and saw several people shooting with SLRs inside,
including one guy with a Nikon FM2.  The camera on the Galaxy S3 officially sucks.

I prefer available light whenever possible no matter what... great going at ISO 6400 (with a K-5 right?) goota get me a k-5 someday

ann

These were the best I was able to get:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157631249222202/

I'm vaguely tempted to see what I could do to access the raw data off the
camera and write an app for that, but I suspect that it is not trivial.

      Larry

He looks most like a meadow katydid from a quick google -
did he say anything? did Katy ir didn't?
ann