Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 00:55:52 -0400
From: John Sessoms<jsessoms...@nc.rr.com>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List<pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: PESO: Rain Garden

I had some time to kill yesterday waiting for a photography club meeting
to start. We meet at an arboretum associated with NC State University.
They have a nice little Japanese garden, and I got to thinking how it
might look in one of those old Japanese wood-block prints, with the rain
& fog.

So, I kind of planned this shot out, and then all I had to do was wait
until it rained & scurry over there to take the shot. Which it did this
afternoon.

About rain - I needed it to be raining hard so the rain would show up in
the photo. The hard rain is at the leading edge of the storm. If you're
not ready to move as soon as you hear the first crash of thunder you're
probably going to miss it. Also, if you use fill flash to try to make
the rain pop out, you need to be on trailing curtain sync. Otherwise
your raindrops will look like they're falling upwards.

Standing in the rain, holding the umbrella over the camera & tripod
because I didn't have my rain-sleeves ready.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb_sessoms/7947602716/lightbox/

K20D, DA18-55 II aperture priority @f/22 NIK filters (HDR Pro, Color
Efex Pro & Silver Efex Pro)

Cropped it 12x24 to give it a panoramic feel.

In the end, I had to assist the rain just a little in Photoshop (a whole
lot actually).

My K20D has got some hot pixels or something. There are 2 bright red
dots in exactly the same spot in every frame. They appear to be 1 pixel
each. Plus there's a bright white blob about the size the light in the
garden sculpture. It's pretty easy to locate because it's right in the
middle of a 1 pixel high bright red line that extends from side to side
across the frame.

It's a b**ch cloning the red line out. Content aware fill can't do it,
and if you're not super careful, it just ends up looking like someone
cloned out a red line across the middle of the frame.