From: Larry Colen

Unfortunately, when I started digging into what it would cost to
upgrade my tripod/monopod heads, and do it right, it rapidly exceeded
my birthday present budget.  I was trying to photograph a spider
eating a fly this afternoon, and tried several variations of the
flash, including my el cheapo passive ringflash adapter, which threw
away too much light for what I was trying to do.

I don't have $500 to buy the Pentax ring flash, at least not new.  I
don't care if it's pure manual operation.  I'd like it to be powerful
enough that I could also use it for fill when doing portrait
photography.  I think I'd prefer flash to LED, because if I'm hand
holding a macro shot, anything that'll help freeze motion is helpful.
Especially if I'm photographing a flower and it's at all breezy
outside.

Anybody have any recommendations of flashes to look at?  Or, for that
matter, ones to avoid?  Or know of any awesome deals on a used one.

I've had an idea of scrounging up a whole bunch of those disposable cameras that have flash & disassembling them to get enough of those to make my own. Thinking of mounting them around something like a ring frisbee.

I suppose you could vary the power by putting 12 of them on the ring like the numbers on a clock. Low power would be 12, 3, 6, 9; add 1, 4, 7, 10 for medium power and all 12 for high power.

Instead of mounting it on the camera you'd mount it on a lightstand & just point the lens through the hole in the middle.

Haven't given it much more thought than that. Haven't figured out how I'd power it or trigger it. Never got around to taking one of those little cameras apart to see how they triggered the flash & the place I used to work no longer has their film processor so I can't get them from there ... I was still on good terms with my former "cow-orkers" assuming they haven't been fired since I was.