> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> John Sessoms
>

> Someone mentioned "the tyranny of physical hierarchies", which I think
> gets it just backwards.

that would be me.

> The physical hierarchies allow me to be the
> boss over the software. My photos are where I want them to be; where I
> told the computer to put them.

No they're not. The system decides where they go. The catalogue in the file
system is just a way of labelling them in a way that humans can read - the
folder structure is essentially part of the name, like
william\jefferson\clinton - and a very inflexible way since you have to know
how to navigate through the hierarchy to get at something. Windows only
provides one label, which is even more inflexible. Some file systems provide
a means of assigning a file to several hierarchies (ie, giving it several
names), which is a bit more flexible.

> It's LightRoom that's being tyrannical with its demand that everything
> be organized by keywords.

it doesn't demand anything of the sort. There's absolutely no requirement
whatsoever to use keywords. As you mentioned above, if you want to organise
your pictures in a folder structure outside of LR you can do so, and LR
handles it with ease.

> Keyword the hell out of everything, but leave
> the folder structure the way that makes sense to you. That way, when
> LightRoom crashes & burns, you'll still know where your photos are.
>
> LightRoom's utility is directly proportional to how easily it allows me
> to organize photos the way *I* want them organized.

You can use it to organise them anyway you like, or not organise them at
all. It's up to you.