I routinely convert my PEF's into DNG's on import into lightroom (and
throw away the PEF at that time) and have the lightroom catalog set to
write the metadata into the DNG.  That way, if the files are moved
from one catalog to another, the keywords, develop settings etc go
with them without the need to import from catalog.  I have no worries
about the DNG format continued to being supported - there must be a
lot more people using DNG than PEF in the world!

Alastair