Matthew, to John:
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:33 PM, John Sessoms <jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com> wrote:

The incremental increase in pixel count & the better auto-focus with
lenses I don't have and am not going to buy don't impress me. Nor the other "improvements". The weather resistance would be nice to have but
by itself does not add enough value to make me want it.

As somebody who is still stuck with a K10D, what appeals to me most
about the K-5 is none of those things you list; it's the low noise,
high-ISO capability, and dynamic range (three sides of the same coin).
That's what drops my jaw when I see people's K-5 shots. I'm surprised
that you're not even impressed enough to make note of it.

Well I am not telling anyone to buy or not to buy anything but...

Had the money, would gladly trade the Kr for a K30 - street duty, everyday - and get a K5IIs for the nights and jobs. Not that I'm not happy with said Kr, I like very much my camera... just the newer ones would help me now and then, and that's enough for me. Price-wise they look good, still cheaper than others and at least equal, usually best. Ok, some features shine, some do not - that's life. Since my money is scarce and I can use the Kr, I keep it, use it, and try to save. Still happy.

I'd also probably have uses for a D600, a 645d, and a new 1911. Cars, make mine a Stratos, lime - or maybe a Delta Integrale 16v in silver. Do not need them, but feel free to buy me one - even a miniature. Come to think of it, my '96 Golf needs front shocks. Cheaper than upgrading something I like just because it's old. Newer are safer and offer better mileage, so that's why one day I'll replace it. Not in a hurry, unless it's a gift. Still happy.

I use Canon and Nikon at least twice a month, could live with them but would rather go K30/ K5iis with lenses I currently have and am buying. My pics still look mine with other brands, unfortunately there is no such thing as *become a better photographer buying brand L*.

D3100's AF faster here, mine still acceptable. XTi getting beaten all the time here, still making useful pics. My friends' flashes beat my 285, but I'm using it so long I only want a better one when I can't bounce it. My lenses are better than consumer zooms and kit lenses my friends own - main point I'd stay Pentax right now. While I don't buy a better flash I bounce my 285 and chimp, while I don't get the new cameras I cheat with Noise Ninja. Happy.

Choosing is personal - so when one decides to overlook some advantage gear A offers against gear P because P feels better to say aloud, it's called freedom. Failing to notice advantages or pretending they do not exist are diff matters. Not my problem, actually. Wish you all happy (bad if someone would rather so) moments with your dream (or nightmare) choices.

Cheers,

--
luiz felipe
luiz.felipe at luizfelipe.fot.br