On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Tom C <caka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was in the market for a new laptop, but now it'll likely be a
> problem finding what I want with Windows 7.  Hence my
> thoughts on a Mac.

You haven't even used Windows 8 but you're considering switching to an
entirely different computer system because of what other people have
written? Perhaps you should give it a try first before you make such a
big change.

I've only used Windows 8 a little myself, but I really don't think
it's that bad. Now, the "Modern" (formerly "Metro") design was clearly
made with touch-sensitive devices in mind, so you'll probably want to
switch it to desktop mode. There are ways to get the Start button
functionality back, so you'd basically be using your regular old
Windows again. I think Win8 will get better as more people use it and
Microsoft updates it to deal with user feedback. They know it's not a
hit, so I think they'll actively try to win over skeptical users with
changes.

That last sentence is why I'm waiting a while before I upgrade from
Windows 7. My PC works wonderfully with 7, and I'd like to see where 8
goes before I bother messing with perfection.

If you're completely anti-8, just get whatever laptop you wanted, wipe
the hard drive, buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 and install it. You will
be happy with it for a very long time.

John

P.S.: If you're serious about switching to Mac, just think about how
much you'll have to spend on all that new hardware and software you'll
need to get to replace what you have on your PC.