the clamp is for Manual Focus mode to stop focus creep when you are
eg, holding the camera lens down.  The limit is for AF mode to stop
the lens hunting all the way through the focal length to try and
focus.  I think the AF/MF setting overrides the camera's control but I
am awy from home so can't look at the lens.  I almost always have the
lens in MF mode, since I almost never using AF for macro shots.

This is by far my favourite lens - great for macro of course and also
for portraits but it will show all the wrinkles and spots on your
subject!

If you want some example shots see for example
https://picasaweb.google.com/101251999616543812992/WoolCarderBee#5430979153996617218

Alastair