Hi Charles,
My thoughts:

The human eye-brain combination has a very intelligent white-balancing system; a photograph of the lady sitting under a green sun shade, shows a greenish skin, but with your own eyes you see correct color because your brain knows that skin is not green and concludes that it has to correct because of the green sun shade.

The automatic white balance of your camera has to decide which part of the scene has to be called white. It will select the brightest part of the scene: the reflection on your ring! This is probably yellowish, because its own gold color and because of the sun light. If the system makes this white, the rest of the scene will be bluish. The system worked perfectly, it did what it was told to do!

Greetz, Jos