> From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> knarftheria...@gmail.com
>
> Congratulations.
>
> I've always wanted to play but have had a million excuses.

back in the mid-late 80s I bought a cheap guitar in a junk shop, a copy of
Juan Martin's book and taught my self to play flamenco very badly. After a
year I started to have lessons from an extremely good flamenco player - who
didn't think much of 'little Johnny Martin' - and stuck with him for 2 or 3
years, but I never overcame my ingrained bad habits, and I discovered that I
have no talent at all, and no ability to keep time (strict compas, as it's
called, is absolutely essential in flamenco). It came as something of a
relief when one day my guitar snapped in mid-rasgueado. I interpreted it as
a message from Aoede, and have never strummed a fandango since.

My advice to would-be guitarists is to take lessons and buy a soundproof
room.