> From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Godfrey DiGiorgi
>
> Spent Saturday evening at the Edison Theater - Silent Movie Museum in
> Niles watching an evening of Mary Pickford classics from the 1909 to
> 1913 period of silent films. How beautiful these century old films are!
> After a couple of them, the language of that era's silent film grows on
> you and you begin to hear them with your eyes.
>
> And then you wander about the museum space and play with the old
> cameras. How simple and precise, how mechanical they feel. Beautiful
> things.
>
> Very inspiring evening. There is a simplicity and a nuance to these
> ancient photographic works that is sublime. :-)

that sounds like a very interesting and enjoyable experience. There is a
Cinema Museum here in London (http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/), but I
haven't been to it yet. I really must.

One of the many enjoyable things about the French Cinema classes I've been
taking over the last 2-3 years has been to watch some of the older films and
be impressed how they achieved their effects so cleverly with so little
technology. A real challenge for the imagination.

Last term we looked at Cocteau's film Orphée, and at the moment we are doing
his La Belle et la bête. He used a lot of trickery to create the fantasy
worlds of his films (note: in French cinema there is a distinction between
le fantastique and le merveilleux, which we don't really make much - these 2
films, esp. B&B, are merveilleux), but he created the trickery in the
camera, not in post-production, and even now, some 70 years later it is
still very impressive. Perhaps even more impressive now than then. He
constructed the unreal from the real.