Thanks, Jack and Don, for looking and commenting.

Everyone in the scene, except the gent coming out of the water, is
there to watch the sun set (as was I).  The photographer with the
tripod was setting up for a standard sunset shot when he noticed some
iron and cement from and old pier that had been exposed by low tide,
and he adjusted the tripod to sand level to capture that while waiting
for the sun to get near the horizon.  This bit of beach junk is
something I have also photographed many times:

Dan Matyola