 From: Mark C <pdml-m...@charter.net>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: Printing B&W

Paul and Bill and others are right to note that you have to disable printer
management of the color and then let PS Elements manage it. Otherwise you could
get double profiling - PS Elements outputs the print profiled to the paper and
then the printer re-profiles that and things go wonky...

Having said that - the path of less resistance might be to go with a mono print
- toned - as opposed to a B&W un-toned. When I was using an Epson 2200 I seldom
got good results with plain B&W prints but would use the duo / tri / quad tone
settings in PS to make a warm, cool, sepia, split tone etc simulation and the
printer seemed to handle it better. I don't know if Elements supports duo tones
or not, but if it does give it a try. A slightly warm print is pretty similar
to many darkroom B&W prints and color inkjets that can't handle a pure B&W
print often do better with something toned. Like I said - a subtle toning,
especially a slightly warm tone, produces a result similar to many classic B&W
developer / paper combos.

Nonetheless, you may simply have a problem with metamerism - colors looking
different in different color light.  Even when I got the the Epson 2200 to kick
out what I wanted prints looked different under different light. So if the
tones look off try looking at it under different light. I don't know what
generation of inks the R1800 uses,but it might be prone to metamerism. You
maybe could solve your problems by changing your light bulbs. :-)

Good luck

Mark

On 4/1/2013 5:39 PM, Jack Davis wrote:
>           I'm done wasting photo paper...for the moment. I estimate having
>sacrificed about 20 sheets of A3 Ultra Premium Luster in the last 36 hours.
>Would have been more, but I've been interrupted a few times with meals, toilet
>and accompanying my wife in her travels to uninteresting places.
>           I have proof of past B&W successes which only serves to make me
>doubt myself rather than the printer. The printer is an Epson Stylus PHOTO
>R1800 (remember those?) which I bought new about a dozen years ago.
>           The only "calibrating" I've ever done to the system is a fairly
>regular session with Huey whenever I begin to see ghostly shadows bordering
>images.
>           I've given control to the printer and then turned down the
>available colors (only includes magenta, yellow and cyan) to a limit of minus
>25. Get a grape blue. If I select "no color control" or "photoshop elements
>manages color" it's a shade of magenta.
> I don't do a lot of printing any more, but seems it's a B&W when I do. Color
> hasn't been a problem.
> I've made several trips to my favorite lab in Sacramento in recent years,
> always to get a B&W done that I'm pressed to supply. I, also, do that when I
> need a print larger than 13"x 19."
>           I've figured out that a new printer would solve my problem, but I'd
>likely not be around long enough to use it up.
>           If you're familiar with the printer and have any thoughts that may
>help, please pass them along.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jack

-- PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List