So good to hear your story Ann, glad it went well. Now Heal!

Glad you enjoyed my 'Over the Falls' image!

I've been where you took your PUG image and thoroughly enjoyed 'Into the Wild', both the book and the movie.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ann Sanfedele" <ann...@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Ot: an "aye" for an eye , ann's eye (i'm back - and longish stuff )

with some trepedation - I have returned! :-)

Cataract surgery was May 2nd - only on my right eye - marked with a purple arrow by a nurse. I can see clear_er_ but still not really clear as that eye is also astigmatic and at the moment there is only
plain glass in the glasses I have on that side.

I was quite nervous beforehand, but it really was no big deal and
rather interesting to watch. My trepedation had much to do with being knocked out and it ws local anesthetic and a sedative.

For all of you facing this - the improvement in color perception is
terrif - I can see those things in the shadows now, even though my
other eye still has a small cataract.

best of all, it had a definite positive effect on my glaucoma control.

(aside to Dan, 16-16 after surgery ) Doc said that happens in about 20%
of cases.

Only thing that is a bit hard to deal with is how very very drowsy the
medications post-op are making me. three different eye drops on a tight schedule 4 times a day for a week, then 3, then 2, then once.
plus my twice a day glaucoma drops.

Big plus was my friend with benefits came down from Massachusetts the
day before and stayed for 5 days.  One DOES need someone who is not
stoned by sedatives and post-op meds around for a bit.  Especially if
you are a cheap drunk like moi - who doesn't drink at all, and hasnt
been even slightly sedated since 1995 after a car accident broke my back.

I was so wired -before_ the op that I was more "awake" than I though I'd
be the first day.

Turns out a friend's son , just by chance, was my nurse du jour before the procedure, which was fun and comforting for me.

I swore I heard someone say "whose carving?" when I was wheeled into op
room, to which I replied "where's Alan Alda?" - this turns out tohave
been a total hallucination - my doc on second follow up was quite amused
but assured me no one had said _that_ and evryone in the op theatre was
far to young to catch the reference, not to mention the inappropriateness. I do wonder what was said that became "carving" to my ear.

I actually watched the whole thing, in a way - you don't have any sense that anyone is even touching you - very odd - and what I saw was like
watching a spaceship, lots of intersting colors, and so on.  Unlike
some friends who thought that nothing had been done and asked when
where they going to do anything, I had specifically asked not to be
heavily sedated, and I did know something was being done and talked with
the doc during it, who kept telling me I was doing fine, as if I were
a participant.

Then there was the nasty stuff afterwards - nono, not physical -
financial!  If I had gotten the prescriptions that were written (It
occured to me they didn't know I didnt have the med thing on medicare)
I simply would have been unable to get them - close to $400 for those
three little drops ... HOWEVER,
FWB got on the computer and got it down to $88 through Canada and we
went back to the hospital for the follow up on Friday the 3rd with
papers... I bet they thought he was a lawyer.

Suddenly, I got 3 new prescriptions for generic equivalent drugs that
brought my investment in drops down to $59 total. (I get my glaucoma drugs free.) Now, even if your health insurance covers those obscene
prices (which, of course, are chicken-feed compared to those for really
serious illnesses) sheesh...

By yesterday I got to reading archived posts and was awfully pleased
by the support you guys all showed - really sweet.  Also saw the
book is out and read PUG comments and looked at PUG - wow, Ken! most
gorgeous! and felt bad about mine - darren, I betcha mean't me on the
"not so sharp" bit. I didn't put much effort into that choice, I jsut loved the book.

Bought the ebook of the annual - just wonderful! design, photos, Doug's
funny and touching intro and delighted to once again have a quote in :-)
Quotes selected were especially good this year, too - nonono not because I made it...)

I'm still wobbly under the influence, and have to be especially careful
where I put things (the cheese went into the cupboard for a couple of hours, instead of back in the fridge and the oatmeal ended up where
I keep the catfood yesterday.) but colors are much prettier and
I'm not wincing over glare.

I might even take out the camera...

thanks again for you well wishes

mending annie