In the last few days there were a couple of questions about the
meaning of the Eye-Fi card feature in the new Pentax Camera bodies.

Today, I listened to the latest TWIP podcast and there was an
interview with one of the co-founders of the Eye-fi company.

It boils down to this.  Eye-fi has made agreements with many camera
companies to insert code into the camera firmware.  When you insert
the card, new menus and icons appear for controlling the card and
giving feedback via the camera LCD.

Also, the firmware assures that the camera won't time out and turn off
in the middle of a transfer.

The interview motivated me to go check out the eye-fi website.  There
is a long list of details, by camera model, that talks about
compatibility and other issues with different eye-fi cards.  For
instance, some camera models have so much metal in the body that wi-fi
range is severely reduced.

Here's the link <http://support.eye.fi/>

The new "mobi" cards look interesting.  The mobi cards can communicate
directly with a smartphone or tablet with no need for a computer for
setup or a wi-fi network use.  I can see where that may be very
useful.  I think it might be much handier than typical tethered
shooting.

GS

George Sinos