On 6/26/2013 5:52 PM, steve harley wrote:
on 2013-06-13 20:21 Walt wrote
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/walt_gilbert/9036796687/
K-5, M-28/2.8, ISO 200, 1/160 sec, f/?

distinctive and attractive, lovely whiskers and skin; i like the deep dark background, but turn the camera 90 degrees and you could get his forearms without additional working distance; would also be a nice crop

with his dipping lids he looks sauced; perhaps that's intentional; at the size presented it seems slightly front-focused (eyes soft, nose & whiskers sharp), but that emphasizes the far away gaze.

Thanks, Steve.

I completely agree with you on the orientation. I was just so focused on capturing the detail in his face and beard that I guess I failed to even notice that I was cutting off his arms. It was a quick, one-off shot. And, yes, the lack of sharpness around the eyes that bugged me is exactly that -- a front-focusing problem that would have been easily remedied if I'd stopped down the aperture a bit. I really wanted to capture the detail in his beard, so that's where I put the focus point. I just didn't have enough DOF to get the eyes as sharp as I'd have liked.

Still, the image has grown on me to the point where I probably won't fiddle with it too much anymore, if at all.

-- Walt