I know you are joking, but the introduction of Jill Enfield's new book
(Jill Enfield's Guide to Photographic Alternative Processes: Popular
Historical and Contemporary Techniques) makes the point that when
photography was introduced and started to become mainstream, painters
throught that their craft was dead. It seems silly to us to think of
painters getting rid of their painting gear, canvases, and paints just
because they now owned a camera (or their neighbor did)... but that's
pretty much what has happened when it comes to film, and especially
darkroom equipment.

One reason that Alternative Processes appeal to me is that "regular"
film work lasting into the future depends upon manufacturers that
continue to produce film and photographic papers (something that is
going to end at some point and already has for some beloved films and
papers). The only alternative (impractical for most of us) is to have
a stockpile of film and paper for our lifetimes. Alternative Processes
do not rely on such things. You size your own papers with the
light-sensitive combination of chemicals and then they develop in
other chemicals (or simply react to UV light). Your negatives can be
produced on your inkjet printer (from digital images) or produced
analog on paper negatives (possibly adding the fun of building your
own large format camera). It's a big world with lots of different
techniques to explore and hopefully master.

--
"Photography is a Bastard left by Science on the Doorstep of Art" -
Peter Galassi