On 8/1/2013 10:29 PM, Walt wrote:
I decided to go ahead and sign up for an account (currently awaiting
 approval) over there to see if I might be able to find a local model
or two to pose for me. As it happens, there seems to be quite a few
lovely ladies looking for photographers to pose for in order to build
up portfolios.

Then, after reviewing a few models, I decided to see what kind of
photographers I'd be competing with. Not that there aren't any good
ones to be found; there is some real talent in the area. But, on the
whole, the experience left me feeling much, much better about my own
work.

So, once I get my account approved by the gatekeepers, I think I'll
start contacting potential models to see who might be willing to pose
in exchange for pictures.

Any suggestions on how to approach potential models? I figure it
would be best to arrange to meet them in person in a public place
before the shoot to discuss any ideas they may have and what they're
looking for.

Also, are there any basic cosmetics or other beauty supplies I ought
to keep on hand just in case?

-- Walt

You can find makeup artists, hair stylists & wardrobe consultants (or
wannabees building up their own portfolios) on Model Mayhem too.

As for how to approach potential models, that's what Model Mayhem is
for. It should say in the model's profile whether they will pose in
exchange for prints/files or whether they expect to be paid.

Two thoughts on the nature of CYA:

1. Get it in writing - have a contract that specifically spells out what
the photographer expects & what the model gets for compensation along
with signed model releases. A "verbal" agreement is not worth the paper
it's [not] written on!

2. Get yourself an older female assistant (aka duenna) to help with
these shoots. The word you're looking for here is MATRONLY. Never EVER
be alone with the models.

When you do that "meet them in person in a public place" have the
assistant present then too.

Number '2' is especially important whenever you're shooting "Seniors".