Having had a look at some shots of the whole building, I must agree that it is not exactly beautiful but nevertheless quite striking - nothing like a concrete "blockhouse". Your detail shows that the architect at least tried to be a bit artistic but nothing like Art Deco. It surprises me that it stands empty.

Alan

-----Original Message----- From: P.J. Alling
Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2013 7:13 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: PESO -- Ikea's Billboard (now improved with correct link)

You know it occurred to me that a link to the file on my local machine
won't work for anyone else...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1604247/PESO/PESO%20--%20ikeasbillboard.html

On 8/31/2013 1:09 PM, P.J. Alling wrote:
A detail of the Armstrong Tire/Pirreli building in New Haven. A building that could best be described as a whimsical building of the brutalist school. Ikea, it's current owner would gladly tear it down, to gain a few more parking spaces, but ironically the very institutions, historical preservation societies, designed to protect against concrete monstrosities burying the beauties of the past, are now protecting the concrete monstrosities. True, this building isn't as horrific as Boston City Hall, but then what is. The building stands vacant, and occasionally Ikea will hang a gigantic banner off the side facing the highway. All that being said, I kind of like it.

file:///C:/e%3bbackup/PESO-PAW/PESO%20--%20ikeasbillboard.html

Equipment:  Pentax K20D w/smc Pentax 28-70mm f4.0

As usual comments are welcome but may be totally ignored.

--
A newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant, and the crazy, crazier.

     - H.L.Mencken