I carefully read all 3 responses below, and I think the difference in
the definition of what different people mean by HDR.

In my view, HDR provides mapping of the large-bit-space
(due to the large dynamic range of the scene light) to a
smaller-bit-space.
What the mapping function, whether it is analytical or not, spatialy uniform
or not (i.e. global or local), etc, is a separate question.

When a high-contrast scene is photographed with different exposure times,
and then exposure fusion is performed (manually or with a software),
what you do, is you take subsets (sub-ranges) of that original large-bit-space
(large dynamic range), and capture them separately.
Then you combine these sub-ranges into one photo, by some non-analytical,
spatially non-uniform mapping function - to a smaller bit-space
(dynamic range).

The difference from the process performed by the software that has
"HDR" in its title is just that has a well defined, frequently power-law
(or more complicated function) type of scaling (dynamic range
compression).

I should point out that local burning and dodging done in photo-printing
is also tone mapping to the paper which is typically a relatively
low-dynamic-range media.

As a simple reference that describes what I wrote above in somewhat more
detail, I'd offer this Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_mapping

Best regards,

Igor

Wed Sep 4 17:00:38 EDT 2013
Mark Roberts wrote:

> Igor Roshchin wrote:
>
> >I have a question for John Sessoms:
> >John, you wrote for your photo:
> >"This is not an HDR image. It is a blend of 4 exposures 2 sec to 45 sec
> >using layer masks & blend modes."
> >How is it different from HDR?
>
> HDR combines images into 32-bit-per-color space and then tone maps the
> 32-bit image into a viewable 16 or 8-bit image.

Wed Sep 4 14:35:16 EDT 2013
Matthew Hunt wrote:

> I would say that the difference is that in "HDR imaging" (as the term
> is generally used) at some point (prior to tone-mapping) you produce a
> scene-referred high-dynamic-range image. This requires understanding
> or measuring the quantitative exposure relationship between the input
> LDR images, allowing the software to know (for example) that a bright
> point in the HDR image is 1,000,000 times brighter in the original
> scene than a darker point.
>
> What John did is more akin to exposure fusion, as performed by the
> Enfuse software for example (although it sounds like John blended
> images manually). In exposure fusion, the pixels in the output image
> are a weighted average of the pixels in the input image (with weights
> varying from pixel to pixel), but exposure fusion algorithms don't
> need to know the quantitative relationships between the exposures...
> they can just prefer to weight pixels that are "well exposed" (i.e.
> near the middle of the LDR exposure range).

Wed Sep 4 16:52:16 EDT 2013