On Sun, Sep 08, 2013, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> FourThirds format lenses were designed from the ground up for
> FourThirds format cameras. It is a complete system, with a different
> format proportion and sizing basis. The lens system covers the entire
> range of useful focal lengths and lens types from fisheye, ultra-wide
> rectilinear, up to 600mm telephoto. You don't have to know anything
> about "35mm equivalent field of view" or "crop factors" to use
> Micro-FourThirds and FourThirds equipment ... They are irrelevant
> to the system, which is not derivative of anything from 35mm film
> cameras.
>
> That's why I never mentioned "crop factor" to Marnie. It's simply not
> even remotely relevant unless you want to adapt a 35mm camera lens to
> a FourThirds format camera.

Unless I'm missing something, there is no currently-available 600mm lens
for either 4/3 or m4/3, so right there you're talking about crop factor
(given the 300mm lenses available).  It would seem that you're making my
argument for me.  ;-)

Given that, I think the crop factor issue is particularly important when
you're comparing cameras with different sensors and trying to evaluate
lens availability.  I mean, you need to know that for m4/3 you want a
45mm lens for a "standard portrait" lens.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/