My friend that sold me the AF28T Flash that died three weeks later
felt bad and brought me down a Vivitar 272. It takes 2 9v batteries.
=)

It looks like trigger voltage is somewhere between 150v and 290v
according to various sources. Therefore it is certainly not safe for
the hotshoe. Reading some more, the pc sync port seems capable of
300v(!). So I'm thinking about pulling the center pin from it and just
using the sync cable. Has anyone used these old flashes with a digital
body? It might be even better to get a bracket for it and use the sync
cable, hammer flash style.