On Sep 12, 2013, at 12:21 PM, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>> On Sep 12, 2013, at 8:33 AM, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "I wanted a camera, not LEGO."
>>
>> Hasselblads have a similar level of system modularity, as do several
>> other high-end medium format SLR and technical cameras. It's quite
>> a sophisticated concept for a compact camera system, rarely seen in
>> consumer market products. Your response might be indicative of why the
>> market reception was only lukewarm.
>
> Yes, particularly given the wastage for the benefit of modularity, and
> double particularly given the lack of support for auto-focus of
> non-module lenses.  But I'd still consider one if it had a built-in EVF,
> which is why I put my comment in quotes to indicate that it wasn't
> specifically my opinion.

There are no cameras other than Panasonic and Olympus FourThirds and
Micro-FourThirds for which AF support crosses manufacturer boundaries. The A12
Camera Mount was designed specifically for Leica M-mount lenses, which have no
AF anyway, so citing that as a reason for discontent is somewhat beside the
point.

The lack of an EVF in the body can be viewed as both a minus and a plus.
Depends on what a user individually wants.

The GXR is now discontinued by all reports anyway. Whether they plan to release
an updated version or move on to other things is, as usual with Ricoh, unknown
until they do it.

Such it is.