On 9/12/2013 9:32 AM, Doug Franklin wrote:
On 2013-09-12 1:37, Zos Xavius wrote:
Oh, I was looking at pentaxforums prices and saw 1500. I swear
pentaxforums reviews manipulate prices. So you are saying that the 400
is worth less? Interesting. I'd actually love to pick up a 400 even if
it said sigma on it. Those lenses were supposedly very good and work
well with matching TCs.

I don't know about that specific lens, but I have a different year or model of the Sigma APO 400/5.6 Macro (mine looks different) and it's a good lens. I've never bought a UG (ugly) rated item from Keh, but I've bought numerous BGN (bargain) rated items, and been pleasantly surprised each time by the condition.

I once owned a Sigma 400 f4.6 APO Macro. There were several other SIgma 400mm lenses around before that one, but the APO Macro was highly regarded. The others were not held in such high esteem. Sigma used to have a very bad reputation for quality - back in the 90's - but IMO they really turned that around. That is one of the few lenses that I sold that I had wished I held onto.

I wound up with a Tokina ATX 400 f5.6 which was regarded as being comparable in quality to the Sigma. In my opinion it is very close in qualty - at f8 - but lags at f5.6. Again - there were other variants of the Tokina lens - the SD for instance - but the ATX was the latest and the most highly regarded. I bought a replacement Tokina for $425 a few years ago.

I tested both the Sigma and the Tokina with teleconverters and did not find the results to be satisfactory - they are already pretty slow at f5.6.

Mark