On Oct 5, 2013, at 7:40 AM, Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:

> On 5/10/13, Eric Weir, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>> A question about the X1/20. When I went through Heathrow on my way home
>> I checked out the X20 in the duty free shop. Between us, neither myself,
>> what seemed to be a camera-wise customer, nor a clerk who seemed to know
>> his stuff could figure out how to focus manually. I assume it can be done.
>
> Basically you select manual on the front button (MF)

Thanks for the explanation of manual focusing on the x10, Cotty.

> The one thing I would say this camera (and the X20) are not very good at
> is manual focus. It is fiddly and slow. If you are looking for good
> manual focus control, perhaps look elsewhere.
>
> That said, the AF is extremely good - and supposed to be even better on
> the X20. I never use manual focus on my X10, and so far haven't needed
> to. Even in extreme macro, the AF locks on and is accurate. I generally
> focus and recompose. So - a half press with subject in the middle of the
> frame, then recompose, then a full press of the shutter. Works well.
>
> But a camera liker this is obviously limited. We're probably similar in
> that we both grew up with good old manual focus lenses, and actually
> that's what works for us and we enjoy using them. Not to say autofocus
> doesn't have its place, but for me, I have no need right now.

Well, my first camera was a K1000, but I'm still learning to focus. And I want
to continue. I think I remember someone, I think Godfrey, talking about getting
good enough that you could get focus to just "snap into place" without a lot of
back-and-forth "homing in". I don't know if he meant to suggest that was
possible in action situations. If so it's where I'd like to get.

That said, and while I'm leaning toward a K-5 as my new camera---all of the
quality I can afford right now, or am ever likely to---the X10/X20, with its
manual focus limitations s certainly appealing.

> For my own personal photography, I want studious concentration and just
> a few lenses I know and can use to my liking. But I also want it reduced
> in size. I don't want a camera bag full of stuff. I want one camera *in
> my pocket* and one over my shoulder. And that's it!!

My aspiration, too. Simple and as small as possible. While it had it's
limitations---I would like to have brought some scenes up closer---I really
liked going with just the A28/2.8 and *istDS on my trip. The last half of my
walk I literally had the camera in-hand the whole day. I found it to be the
most convenient and the most comfortable way of carrying the camera.

Regards,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"You will be needed in the movement when you
realize that you are not needed in the movement."

- Chris Crass