Eric -

There is no special honor in focusing manually and there is nothing
mysterious about auto-focus if you turn off all but one of the
sensors.

Focusing is a purely mechanical skill that has nothing to do with
making your photos better.  Picking the place in the photo where you
want to focus is the skill.

If you set the camera to use a single focusing sensor, then lock the
focus so you can recompose the image,  you're not doing anything
significantly different than when we used to manually focus in the old
days.  Even then we usually had help from a split image or micro-prism
spot that would help us achieve better focus.  Those tools do not
exist on today's cameras.

Once you're comfortable with that start to explore the other autofocus
features and determine what is useful to you.

Take advantage of the cameras features that can give you more time to
concentrate on what is important.

I've reached an age where I am quite thankful for auto-focus. If I had
to depend on my eyesight I would only have sharp photos by accident.

GS

George Sinos
www.GeorgesPhotos.net
www.GeorgeSinos.com