On 11/15/2013 18:09, Bob W wrote:
On 14 Nov 2013, at 14:58, Ann Sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

Torn posters are a bit of a cliche, but not necessarily a bad one.
This one has too much white for my taste - it lacks balance.
A calendar of them could work, but would be difficult.
Each one would have to be very distinct,
or they'd just blur into each other and become repetitive.

Yeah quite right - and that's my trouble/challenge with it.. although this
particular one is pretty much my favorite of a few I've collected.
It's an experiment.

So how do you like Frankenthaler?  Hans Hoffman? Frank Stella?

I'm afraid I don't know much about American art or abstract expressionism,

so I had to Google them. I'd need to look more closely before I formed an opinion.

aah - Well I shouldn't have used Frank Stella except for the redundancy factor - but my found collages remind me of Frankenthaler and Hoffman.

My reference point for torn poster photos is Ernst Haas.

<http://www.ernst-haas.com/colorGallery01.html>

hmm - well a quick review on line and I would say that the
percentage of Haas's stuff that bears some resemblence to the
torn pages is roughly the same as they bear in mine  - mostly
it isn't my thing.. but occasionally it is.

And someone (BRuce?) mentioned Aaron Siskind - which is spot on,
although his pattern shots are black and white.

ann

thanks for a good critique - sorry I'm not in actual street mode these days.

ann