Darren and others:

For people who are in that situation, I recommend an inexpensive
solution of how to get USB-3 ports. I did this for my desktop and
for my laptop.

Desktop:
I bought this PCI adapter card:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/696114-REG/Transcend_TS_PDU3_2_Port_USB_3_0_PCI.html
It seems to work fine.
Note that you need to have a spare short (PCI x1) PCI slot available.

Laptop: if your laptop has an express card slot, you can buy a very
inexpensive adapter for USB 3.0.
Depending on the width of your slot, you want to buy a 30-mm or 54-mm
card.

I bought this one for my laptop (Windows 7):
http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-2-Port-ExpressCard-Express-Adapter/dp/B0090U8VES/
You can see reviews for that product on this page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046XUMDW/ even though the seller
changed the name of the product recently - I believe the reviews are
about "BestDealUSA" brand. - I bought that from this page in mid-2012.

It works reasonably well, but once in a while is not recongnized as a
USB-3 device. It is not often, maybe once in two months or maybe even
less frequently.
All you need is too pull it out and the push it back again 20 seconds
later.

Note, while 54-mm slot can accept both 30mm and 54mm cards, 54mm card
is more steady in it.

Also note, that if you need to connect USB-3 devices that don't have a
separate power supply then you USB 3.0 adapter in the laptop should have
an additional cable that plugs in into the regular USB adapter,- to
provide the power (it is not sufficient/available from the express card
port). This cable is usually included with these adapters (don't
disregard it!)

HTH,

Igor

Wed Nov 20 10:20:47 EST 2013