Thanks for that, John. I've been debating whether to jump in on the Auto-Tune
issue, but since I've spent the last 15 years as the marketing guy for the
company that invented and markets Auto-Tune, I was concerned that it might come
off as a bit defensive.

Suffice it to say that while it's largely come to popular attention outside the
recording industry as a result of its use as an effect, first in pop music back
in the the Cher "Believe" days, and more recently in hip hop (and then
everything), for every song that you hear using it as an effect, there's
probably a hundred more that use it for its initially intended purpose where
its use is entirely inaudible. And I can tell you that it's *not* just for the
vocally challenged. It's used by many extremely talented vocalists, some in
musical genres far from pop music. (And as a bonus, it gave me the entirely
unexpected opportunity to be quoted in New York Times responding to Jay-Z:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/when-jay-z-hates-your-software/?_r=0 )

   - Marco