Highly  complex targets with cool graphics work, but so does a simple system of
lines with the center line readily identifiable. I made a chart in PhotoShop
comprised of a series of lines about a centimeter apart. The target line in the
center is thicker than the others. With the camera at a 45 degree angle to the
chart, I autofocus on the center line with center spot selected for focus. This
test is the FA 50/1.4 with my final +2 adjustment. Note the varying degrees of
out of focus as the lines progress. The fourth line on each side is the first
to be critically out of focus. Thus, the center is identifiable. I shot this at
f2.5, as I've found that results with this lens wide open can be misleading.
But most other lenses are tested wide open, particularly the DA* lenses, which
are engineered to be optimum at wide aps.

Paul