On 20 January 2014 20:24, Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:

> Hi, boys and girls! We're back form old blighty after a splendid week
> in London with brief excursions to Milton Keynes and Oxford.
>
> We toured Blechley Park with Bob W and Chris Mitchell and his wife and
> had a fascinating look at the code breakers' headquarters and then a
> nice bit of dinner & wine in Milton Keynes. We chatted a lot about the
> rest of you on the PDML and laughed at several of you behind your
> backs. Jolly good fun!
>
> Wednesday was the trip to Oxford and a meet-up with Cotty and wife.
> Japanese food for lunch and a brief tour of the "800 Years of Medical
> History at Oxford" exhibit. Dr. Lisa was impressed.
>
> Other relevant and irrelevant items of interest: The Wildlife
> Photographer of the Year exhibit at the Natural History Museum. We've
> seen it in many previous years but this one was the bet yet. Truly
> outstanding stuff. And the kid's division(s) looked more like the
> photos really had been taken by the ages indicated (rather than daddy
> setting up the camera/lens/tripod and junior pressing the shutter
> button when instructed). The Astronomy Photographer of the year
> exhibit at the observatory in Greenwich was fairly small but
> absolutely breathtaking. The effort and preparation that these amateur
> astrophotographers put in is humbling. Brilliant stuff all astronomers
> should see (you getting this, Miserere?)

Got it! I'll go right ahead and book a plane ticket to go see it! :-p

Funny thing is, everybody always assumes I do astrophotography. I have
to explain to them that I have a car, a mortgage, a wife, and now a
kid, so no, I don't do astrophotography :-D Our own Darren Addy has
started down the slippery slope of astrophotography and I hope he's
able to stop before it's too late.

> Turner exhibit in Greenwich was superb. He's one of my favorite
> artists and this didn't disappoint. We also saw the Spencer exhibit at
> Somerset House and enjoyed that a lot.
>
> The Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons was a high point
> for Dr. Lisa. It held my attention for half an hour or so but she was
> enthralled and could have spent a day there. She's just been reading a
> superb book about Hunter
> (http://www.amazon.com/The-Knife-Man-Snatching-Surgery/dp/0767916530)
> and has been astonished by the work he did in the 18th century –
> brilliant man. We'll be back to this one on future visits.
>
> If you visit London and like books you absolutely must visit Daunt
> Books on Marylebone High Street. Fabulous book shop. Impressive
> building. Nice people.
>
> Photographically I ran the gamut from HCB-style street shooting to
> overprocessed HDR photography and everything in between. London and
> Oxford are both fabulous places for photography and, for my purposes,
> particularly at night. I'm doing more and more experimentation with
> the third dimension of photography, time, using long exposures and/or
> multiple exposures. I was traveling without a tripod and I really
> enjoy the challenge of finding a spot to rest or brace the camera and
> then work out the composition by trial and error. I had a blast and
> got some pretty good stuff, I think/hope.
>
> I did almost all my shooting with the DA 12-24 (which saw the most
> use) and the DA-L 55-300, the latter purchased specifically for this
> trip. It's supposed to be sold only with a camera body as part of a
> kit but some dealers break up the kits and sell body and lens
> separately. The lens was $179 new, including shipping. It lacks the
> quick-shift focus of the DA version and has a plastic lens mount but
> it's the same optically, which is to say, superb. An amazing lens and
> highly recommended. The 21mm Ltd also saw a little use.
>
> Now I'm getting ready for the start of school on Wednesday and since
> I'm teaching Digital Design again, a course I haven't taught in a few
> semesters, I'll be fairly busy, so it'll be a while before I get a UK
> photo gallery up (I also have the PDML Photo Annual to contend with).
> Hang on, because I think it'll be worth the wait.

I'll be right here, sitting down, waiting to see your photos of my
hometown. You better do the city justice!

Cheers,

   —M.

    \/\/o/\/\ --> http://WorldOfMiserere.com

    http://EnticingTheLight.com