Western Sydney Australia
http://lyons-ryan.org/southernlight/

Quoting Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com>:

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Brian Walters <apathy...@lyons-ryan.org> wrote:

Quoting Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com>:

I recommend you to download the demo of that and a couple of others,
eg Imagenomic Noiseware, and test on your material for yourself. I
have three NR packages that I use now: Lightroom (ACR), Imagenomic
Noiseware, and Nik Dfine. They all act differently on different kinds
of noise, so I pick and choose depending.

I don't have experience with Topaz other than running its demo back
when I chose Noiseware. I didn't like its UI then.

Personally, I'd recommend you to save up for the Nik Suite. It's $149
but it's a killer bunch of plugins and if you use the RAW Sharpener
before applying the NR (Dfine) you avoid much of the softening that NR
usually creates.

Red face time...

Never mind: I just saved you forty bucks. :-)

I already have the Nik Suite but I use it almost exclusively for the Silver
Efex component - never even realised that Define was a NR component....

The recommended workflow is apply RAW pre-sharpener (tick the High ISO
selector if above ISO 400 so it avoids oversharpening noise), then run
Dfine on the result. Sometimes the Dfine automatic noise detect fails
and you have to manually point it at 4-5 different sample areas. Maybe
once in 100 images.

I'll probably still download the Topaz software to compare it with Define.

Nik Dfine is so good that I'd just not bother with Topaz myself. It
seems to handle sensor banding in extremely high-ISO shots really
well. Those ones where it was the "set it to 512,000 or miss the shot"
sort of thing. It can't perform miracles, but it pulls a perfectly
useable image out of the mud.