It's a good article in that it stresses the importance of connection
with the subject, however I don't think that the technicalities and
the interpersonal relationship between the subject and photographer
are mutually exclusive, depending on the shooting environment of
course.

I shoot a lot of live events these days, often something akin to live
portraiture, that's an interesting twist because the artist is playing
to the audience. My job is to attempt to capture the expressions of
the artist on stage particularly when I see them slip out of performer
mode and show that they are really loving what they are doing up
there. And often when I connect with the same people one to one to
shoot them in a studio environment we have an instant rapport built in
part through my live images which makes the shoot far less staid and
leads to more natural poses and expressions. And if the shoot has been
properly designed and not rushed the resultant images often also
exhibit excellent technical quality too.

The worst shoots I have been involved in were at studio workshops
where the lighting was pre-set and near to perfect but the models came
thick and fast. It's like a sausage factory, one model after another,
one set then the next. I found that the quality of my images suffer
terribly if I have no time to connect with the models, technically
they may be flawless but they lack emotion and substance.

The last thing is that it's so easy to get caught up in the low noise,
high d-range, low ISO roundabout, some of my best and most appreciated
pics were shot at very high ISOs and suffer motion blur and boulder
sized noise but the punters just don't care for the most part they
only see the content in the image. I have given up trying to please
photographers and it has let me make so many more images that I can
say that I'm now truly happy with.

Cheers,

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)