That is a classic indeed!

My Rotary Club collects used bikes to be sent overseas by a non-profit
(Pedals 4 Progress) to enable people to get to where there are jobs.
We also collect used sewing machines, for woman who can not work
outside the home but can make items for sale to help support their
families.  We receive a singer very similar to the one in your image
two years ago, and I suggested they may want to sell it to a collector
and use the money to buy more than one used sewing machine.

Dan Matyola