I'm going to be in Italy next month, and I want to visit the towns my
grandparents came from, which are both in the Abruzzo region: Bugnara
and Giulianova. Hopefully our resident Italian PDMLers can help me
with these questions about the region:

 - I'm hoping I can travel around Abruzzo by train and/or bus rather
than rent a car. Is this feasible? I normally use Google Maps for
getting around, but it doesn't show mass transit options in Italy and
I'm not sure where to look for accurate maps and timetables.

 - How difficult is it to find hostels in the cities and towns of Abruzzo?

 - My parents visited the region a couple decades ago and said there
was a big problem with pickpocketing and bag slashing. Is this still
the case? What can I do to protect myself and my belongings?

 - My parents knew some Italian and were able to converse with people
when necessary. I don't know any Italian. Will this be a big problem?
I know a little Spanish, but I doubt that will help at all...

 - I'm told I have distant cousins in Giulianova and Bugnara, but none
of them speak English. Would it be worth trying to meet them, or would
it just be awkward because of the language barrier?

 - What are some hidden gems to see in Abruzzo? I'm thinking
churches/cathedrals, museums, historical sites, beautiful landscapes,
local landmarks, bars/restaurants, and other things like those.

My itinerary starts in Milan, and then I'm probably going to go to
Venice and Florence for a couple days each before heading south. After
Abruzzo I'll head to Rome to fly home.

Grazie,
John