My friend Candice wanted to try her hand at processing one of my photos in
lightroom. I exported several virtual copies of it onto a catalog on a usb
stick. She imported that catalog, made the tweaks she wanted and saved the
catalog back to the usb stick.

I’d like to import her edits to the file as virtual copies along side my edits,
but I seem to either have the option of copying the files to a new location, or
importing the edits leaving the files in place. If I try the latter, unmounting
the stick, then pointing at the raw file already on my disk, it says it can’t
have two things pointing to the same raw file.

How do I solve this problem of merging edits as virtual copies?