Pain au chocolat is very bad for gout - the bread uses yeast, which is high in
purines, and chocolate is about the worst thing possible since theobromine _is_
a purine. The failure to metabolise purines is the cause of gout.

For me the best on-the-road foods are bananas, dried fruit and fresh oranges;
they taste much better than the commercial energy bars, and you can buy them
anywhere there's a food shop that's open.

Of course, you have to look after your banana while cycling. I kept mine
strapped to the front bag and adjusted it regularly to cope with slippage. I
stopped for a break at the bottom of a gorge one day and was horrified to
discover that my banana had fallen off.

The saddlebag is a Carradice Super C, which worked fine. I've had mixed
experiences with Carradice - for instance, in France last year the bag split
apart at the seams, even though it had only had occasional light use. I had it
repaired by a cordwainer in Versailles and it's been ok since. One or two other
Carradice products I've had have been badly-designed rubbish. I would consider
a Camper Longflap though.

My saddle is a B17 standard, but I need to replace it - I reckon I've cycled
over 20,000 miles on it and it sags irredeemably now? I'll post a photo of it
later. I'll buy another B17, but probably the fancy one with brass rivets like
Chris Mitchell's.