Thanks a lot to everybody for the input!
It looks like most people (almost everybody) prefer off-center
placement. A tighter vs. loose crops preference is different for
different people.

These photos are a part of a larger gallery from the botanical garden
of Moscow State University, which I visited during the first week of
July, while attending a large international conference on magnetism.
I've been told that all plants in this garden are from various parts of
Russia (or possibly former Soviet Union as it was planted first in 1950s
[at this, new location]).
I'll be finalizing that gallery soon.

Alan: in response to your question:
> BTW, water lilies are tropical flowers - are those growing in a
> controlled environment?

In this particular case, to my surprise, I've been told that at this
botanical garden, they remove these lilies for the winter. The reason
I was surprised is that in Urals (Chelyabinsk Region, about 55N, 61E),
where I grew up, the climate is even harsher (what is called
"ultracontinental climate", which means very wide range of temperatures
with some extremes in summer and in winter).
There, the same water lilies live naturally in lakes.
So, they are not really tropical flowers.
I think that even though the lakes freeze, the fact that the water
at the bottom of the lake remains at about +4 degrees C allows
all the vegetation to survive.

Igor