Ann - the "how to put them together afterwards" is the easy part. Let clever
software do the work. It can be done in Photoshop I am told, or you can buy
Helicon Focus which does it for you quite nicely. The hard part is getting the
worthwhile composition and then the careful sequence of focus-plane "slices"
across your scene. Patience, skill, good equipment, good technique...

stan